for human consumption can cause death in dogs. Dogs are sensitive
to a class of chemicals called methylxanthines. Caffeine and theobtomine
are members of that family. Dogs simply cannot metabolise and
excrete methylxanthines as efficiently as humans. The half life
of those compounds in the human body is in the order of 2 to 3
hours, in the dog it is more like 18 hours.
a dog the compounds are taken up by the liver and transmitted
via the bile into the intestine. They are then converted back
into the original methylxanthines for another circuit through
the animal. This repeats itself a number of times and instead
of getting rid of the substances the dog keeps repoisoning itself-
are many formulations of chocolate with varying amounts of caffeine
and theobromine. The lethal dose of sweet milk chocolate for a
dog is 2 oz per kill gram of bodyweight. For a 5 kilogram dog
this would be about 280 grams. A lethal dose of milk chocolate
for a 25 kilogram would be about 1.4 kilograms.
chocolate is at least 10 times as lethal. A 25 kilograms dog could
die from the methylxanthines in 5 ounces.
include vomiting, hyperactivity, restlessness, hypersensitivity
to touch ( a dog will jump when touched very rapid heartbeat and
rapid breathing rate. A loss of control of leg muscles, muscle
tremor seizures, general weakness, coma and finally death follow.
it would be a tragic mistake to encourage a dog to develop a taste
for chocolate. A small dog left alone in a house with a box of
chocolates might well follow his nose to the goodies and commit
suicide by poisoning.