Discount Pet Medicine and Pet Supply
 

All Pet Meds | Flea & Tick | Heartworm | Wormers | Arthritis & Joint | Ear Eye | Nutritional   Order Pet Medicines By Phone
1-877-726-1413
Hours
Security Info. | Cart
Home
Bulldog Topics
Features
Pet Medicine
Bowls/Feeders
Grooming
Containment
Beds
Collars/Leashes
Clothing
Books
Bulldog Shop
Sign Guest Map
Contact Info.
Security Info.
Find The Perfect Bulldog Lover Gifts at The Bulldog Press Shop!
 
So many bulldog questions, dog questions and puppy questions..... Welcome to our bulldog Frequently Asked Questions page! Here we have answers to many dog FAQ; as well as, english bulldog behavior questions and other general dog information.

English Bulldog FAQ

Have Questions About Your New English Bulldog Puppy?.... We have answers to some common questions about bulldogs and Bulldog puppies!

Are grapes and raisins poisonous to dogs?


Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.

I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM
6/5/2001


more topics

Bullwrinkle.com

 
 
Bullwrinkle.com Trademark
Copyright © Bullwrinkle.com 2001 - 2012
All Rights Reserved